A 24-year old nursing mother, Yewande Busari, was on May 6 electrocuted in Lagos with her one-year-old son strapped to her back. The child, named Pamilerin, however, survived. The tragedy was caused by electrical wires sticking out of a streetlight pole where she was trying to cross the highway at Oshodi. Yetunde, sources said, had not used the pedestrian bridge on the motorway.
Pamilerin, who has since being discharged from a hospital, is currently with his paternal grandparents. “Since the accident, he has not stopped crying. Pamilerin was very fond of his mother and has refused to breastfeed from other mums who had offered to help,” his father, Mr. Lekan Akorede, told SaharaReporters.
The streetlight pole that caused the tragedy was said to have carried the menace of live wires sticking for a while but was left unattended by the government and the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company in charge of it. In a phone conversation with our reporter, Tunde Busari, an elder brother of the deceased, lamented the nonchalance of the government and the electrical company in charge of the streetlights.
“We have not heard anything from the government or seen anybody from them since my sister died. It was a government property that killed my sister, but nobody has come to pay us a visit,” he said of the indifference that has marked the response of the government and the electricity company in charge of the streetlights.
According to Yewande’s Facebook page, she graduated from Eko Akete Grammar school in Lagos Island. Until her death, she lived with her fiance at number 32 Thomas Street, Ebute-Meta, Lagos