30 people have been injured at a Jewish festival after a small explosion when the fire was lit. Some reports suggest that mobile phones that had been thrown onto the fire had exploded during the celebrations. The devices were put onto the flames at Stamford Hill, north east London, for Lag BaOmer ‘as a warning against the evil of smartphones’. However, the blast only happened as the fire was being lit, suggesting that it was caused by fumes from the fuel on the fire, believed to be oil.
London Ambulance Service went to the scene at about 11pm and treated multiple people for burns. Ten of them were hurt by the flames while another 20 were injured as they turned and ran.