Afang Soup can be very easy to prepare and quite straightforward. It is one delicious soup you should try if you haven’t done that already.
1 Cup Stock Fish, Shredded
1 Smoked Catfish
1 Cup Large Smoked Prawns
10 Pieces Of Goat Meat
1 Cup Palm Oil
8 Cups Waterleaf, Washed and Cut N300 Naira Worth
3 Cups Afang Leaf /Okazi , Blended N500 Naira Worth
Salt To Taste
Seasoning To Taste
1 Cup Periwinkle (De-Shelled)
1/4 Cup Ground Crayfish
1 Tablespoon Ground Pepper
6 Pieces Ponmo (Cow Hide)
- In a pot boil goat meat, add salt, water and seasoning cube. Allow to cook. When it is half way cooked, add pre-boiled Ponmo, washed and deboned smoked fishes, smoked prawns, crayfish, stir and allow to cook some more till it is done and the liquid level is reduced.
- Chop and wash Waterleaf with a scrubbing method
- Wash Afang leaves and slice them. Next it would need to be pounded (with crayfish) or an easier method I use is place it in a blender, add some water and blend.
- Add washed Waterleaf to the pot of boiling meats and fishes, add periwinkle, more crayfish and season to taste.
- Cover and allow to cook some more for 5 minutes, you will notice the Waterleaf will release water and if your initial stock was not properly reduced, your soup may end up being too watery.
- After 5 minutes, add blended Afang leaves and stir the pot. Add Palm Oil, cover and allow to cook for a minute.
- If you leave the Afang to over cook, the colour may no longer be appetising.
- Serve with Eba or my favourite, Fufu.