Fire Kills Sexagenarian Who Slept Off While Cooking


A Sexagenarian (60-year-old man), identified only as Monday, has been burnt to death after fire gutted his residence on Foundation Close, Opebi, in the Ikeja area of Lagos State while cooking.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim had slept off while cooking and the food he was preparing on the gas cooker got burnt.

Fire reportedly engulfed the apartment, destroying property in the house.

Our correspondent gathered that efforts by officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the Lagos State Fire Service who responded to a distress call, prevented the fire from escalating.

It was learnt that the victim’s corpse was discovered after the fire was put out and was taken away by officials of the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit.

A source said, “When emergency workers arrived at the scene,  they discovered that a residential apartment was involved. Investigation showed that the resident of the apartment slept off while cooking.”

A woman, said to be in her 70s, reportedly suffered shock and was treated by paramedics and discharged at the scene.

Leave a Reply