Banga Rice is one of those dishes I never heard about until i went into adulthood, thanks to my new adventurous side, I’m now open to trying dishes from all over the country. This Banga recipe is another interesting way of enjoying our favorite Rice without it being underwhelming..
It’s simlar to Native Jollof because you use Palm Oil and Dried/Smoked Fish but there’s the addition of the very aromatic Banga Spices which is a mix of different Seeds that give the dish its distinct flavour.
Banga Rice is quite easy to make, just make sure you have your Banga Spices and you’re good to go.
2 1/2 Cups of Rice
1 1/2 Cups Palm Nut Extract
1 Cup Pepper Mix (2 Large Habanero Peppers, 1 Medium Onion)
3 Tbsps Banga Spices
2 Medium Smoked Catfish
2 Tbsps Ground Crayfish
1/2 Cup Scent Leaves (Slices)
3 Stock Cubes
1/2 Tsp Salt
- Place your pot on fire on medium heat, add in Palm nut extract to the pot, then add in some water to dissolve the extract, stir lightly.(Make sure to add enough water to cook the rice because Banga rice requires more water than any other rice recipe, as it should be close to mushy)
- Run the Palm nut stock through a strainer to get rid of sand or any other unwanted stuff. This step can be skipped if you are sure of the source of your palm nut extract or you extracted it yourself, if it is store bought, make sure you go through this process to avoid an inedible meal.
- Put the Palm nut stock back on medium- high heat, then add in Pepper mix, stir and allow to boil.
- Add in Banga spice (a little at a time, so the taste isn’t overwhelming), Crayfish, stock cubes and some salt to taste.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Cover and allow to boil on medium heat for some minutes.
- Add in parboiled rice to the stock, leave to cook on low heat, when it starts to boil, cover the pot and turn up the heat.
- Add in smoked catfish and scent leaf, stir gently, cover and allow the water dry, and your Banga Rice is ready.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Source: The Kitchen Muse