Cristiano Ronaldo has appeared to respond to rape accusations published in a German magazine. Lawyers for the former Manchester United star are to take legal action against Der Spiegel over “blatantly illegal” allegations by an American woman she was raped nine years ago by the star.
Kathryn Mayorga, 34, was unveiled on Friday as the woman who has accused Ronaldo of sexually assaulting her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009.
Ronaldo took part in an Instagram live earlier this week where he responded to fans’ questions on a variety of topics.
It is unclear what exact question was asked before Ronaldo seemingly dismissed the allegations.
Looking into the camera, the Juventus star said: “No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news.
“They want to promote [themselves by using] my name. It’s normal. “They want to be famous to say my name, but it is part of the job. I am a happy man and all good.”
The Juventus star was on holiday in Sin City in 2009 with his cousin and brother-in-law when he met the part-time model.
During the alleged incident, she claimed Ronaldo fell to his knees and said he was “99 per cent a good guy” who was let down by the “one per cent”.
Later, Ronaldo allegedly paid her £287,000 as an out-of-court settlement which contracted her to never speak about her claims.
The footballer, 33, denies the allegations – which first surfaced on the Football Leaks website in April 2017. According to court documents Der Spiegel claims to have seen, Ronaldo insists the sex was consensual.
His lawyers, Schertz Bergmann Rechtsanwälte, issued a statement denying Mayorga’s rape claim saying they would sue for “compensation for moral damages”.