Two sisters in Anambra State have been reportedly sustained severe injuries in a kerosene explosion in Ogbunike in the Oyi Local Government Area of the state.
The victims’ names were given as Chinenye Ezeh, 16 years; and Kamsi Ezeh, eight years.
A family source told Southern City News that the incident occurred following power outage in the area.
The source said, “Kamsi had brought a kerosene container to her elder sister, Chinenye, to fill their lantern because there was no public power supply in the area.
“The elder sister did not remember to put out the lantern fire while pouring the kerosene into the lantern. So, the lantern suddenly exploded, leaving both of them with severe and life threatening burns.”
He added that the victims were rushed to First Foundation Hospital and Maternity, Umunnachi, where they were being treated.
The father of the victims, Godwin Ezeh, a native of Imezi Owa in Ezeagu Local Government Area of Enugu State, while speaking with our correspondent, said he would not want his daughters to be disfigured by accident.
He appealed to the Anambra and Enugu state governments and the public to assist him towards saving his children.
He said, “These children are girls; I won’t want them to be disfigured by this accident. I need help to give them proper and adequate treatment.
The police in the state have on several occasions warned members of the public to be wary while using kerosene because of the high frequency of explosion cases in the state.In a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Haruna Mohammed, the Command asked the public to always take necessary precaution when using kerosene and other combustibles in order to prevent such incidents.