I remember my assistant asking me to make her Jollof rice for lunch one day and i asked her “are you not tired of Jollof rice every time?” she responded that she wasn’t, but quite frankly i was already a bit bored with the regular Jollof rice, so i asked her, why not Coconut Jollof rice? and she didn’t mind that too, so it was settled, i was going to make coconut jollof rice. We had previous engagements that day, so it had to be quick, oven baking the rice was the best way to cut down cooking time and i was here for the result when it was done. I served it with stewed Turkey and took a quick picture. When she had it, she became obsessed and now she won’t stop asking for oven baked coconut jollof! lol.
If you ever need a break from the norm this one is for you. It is very easy to make and very tasty too. It is also a perfect dish for week nights and busy mums.
All this yummy goodness in 40 minutes? i mean, its totally worth it. You can served your rice with whatever protein you please. Just follow the steps below and you will get this one dish Coconut Jollof rice right every time. Have fun with this and tell me all about it.
1 1/2 Cups Sella Basmati Rice
1 Can Coconut Milk
1 Cup Pepper mix ( 2 Tomatoes, 2 Paprika Peppers, 1 Habanero Pepper, 1 Small Onions – Roughly blended)
2 1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil
3 Tbsp Coconut Powder (Dissloved in 1 Cup Water)
1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
1 Tsp Curry Powder
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Stock Cubes
1 Tsp Salt
- Soak the rice in hot water for five minutes, seive out the water from the rice after five minutes, then transfer into an oven safe dish.
- Preheat oven to 225 degree Celsius.
- Add in Coconut milk, Pepper mix, Stock cubes, Thyme, Curry powder, Garlic powder and a little oil into the rice then mix all together.
- Dissolve Coconut powder in water, then add into the rice and stir.
- Tightly wrap the dish with foil paper to lock in steam.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Source: The Kitchen Muse